[HARP-L] RE: Fun with reed replacements

<SNIP>
Are there any known LO dimension changes over time? Reeds appear identical,
so hole-centering is probably the error.

Robert Hale
</SNIP>

I am unaware of any LO dimension changes, but then I've only been playing
harp since 2001-and repairing them a lot less time.

I use the Seydel 0-80 screws and nuts, not the 0-90. I always ream out the
hole in the reed a little larger than necessary to get the screw through
the reed. This gives a little "wiggle" room for adjusting the reed in the
slot to fit. Don't leave the hole through the reed so small that the screw
has to be threaded through the reed. You can use a reamer or a small round
needle file to make tiny adjustments so that the reed sits evenly in the
slot. If the reed seems too long for the slot, take off a tiny bit of the
hole on the reed tongue side. If it is off center in the slot, take off a
tiny bit on the same side of the hole. Put the screw back through the reed
and try it again. You'll quickly develop a "feel" for the right amount and
the right location to get the reed to center in the slot. I prefer changing
the reed hole to changing the outside edges of the reed. You can "shave" the
appropriate edge to get the reed centered if you would prefer.

Given the very small tolerances between reed edge and slot edge, it takes
little offset to make the reed seem totally out of whack. There has to be
a tiny amount of "slack" or the process would require hand adjustments to
make the reeds work. The factory generally does NOT make those kind of
hand adjustments, so the problem is as you suspected.

There are several cheap ways to make sure the reed is centered. Very thin
paper (tissue paper, rice paper, etc.) works well. Simply place the paper
over the reed slot, put the reed down on the paper and press it into the
slot GENTLY just far enough to get it into the slot, NOT through the slot.
Another method is to use a very small diameter plastic drinking straw. (I
like 1/8" diameter straws.) Flatten one end, place the reed tongue into the
flattened end and then lay the straw down into the reed slot. Adjust the reed
back and forth inside the straw until the reed hole is aligned. The straw
will hold the reed in place while you tighten the screw. (This "trick" also
works with windsavers, especially floppy ones like the ultrasuede windsavers.)
With the reed centered, you should be able to shift the reed back and forth
longitudinally until you can see the alignment of rivet hole over reedplate
hole. Adjust the reed hole back and forth as needed to get proper position.

If at first you don't succeed, try (curse), try (curse), TRY AGAIN (CELEBRATE)!

Regards,
Crazy Bob