RE: [Harp-L] Over-blows

No. Just make horrible noises! Like I say, it's no different from a normal bend, except that you go straight to the fully band note, so that it 'pops' rather than gently sliding. No more stress om the reed than usual.
RD

>>> "Degregorio, Jeffery" <jeffery.degregorio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 16/06/11 11:07 PM >>>
Thanks Rick for the information.  I appreciate it.  I can blow bend
holes 8-10 but at times find myself adjusting the tone after starting
the note but am able to attain the desired semitone.  Do people "break"
reads in an attempt to learn to overblow?

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Dempster [mailto:rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:11 PM
To: Degregorio, Jeffery
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Over-blows

Can you blow bend holes 8-10, Jeff? If so start by applying the same
technique to hole 6, then holes 4 &, 5. (5 is the most difficult, for
me)
Holes 1,2 & 3 might need a bit of adjustment to 'overbend'. (2 & 3 are
duplicate notes, but 1 OB is unobtainable elsewhere except as an OB on 4
and a a blow bend on 8)
You get exactly the same notes on 4,5,6 by blow bending them as you get
on holes 8, 9 & 10, with the exception that you don't get the half bend
that you get on 10. You are doing exactly the same thing; playing the
opposite reed; blowing the draw reed, which plays at a semitone higher
than it's drawn pitch. The big difference is that you can't go to it
gradually, as the lower pitched reed that is its pair is not in sympathy
with it. I teach people to try to blow or draw air through the harp
without making any sound. This is the point at which you are going to
play the opposite reed; when the natural reed has been bent to its
limit, and the opposite reed takes over. 'Overblows' and 'bends' are the
same thing; one's a little trickier than the other.
Good luck!
RD

>>> "Degregorio, Jeffery" <jeffery.degregorio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
16/06/11 12:09 AM >>>
Hello all:

It's been playing and performing "harp" for two years now and TRULY
enjoying it.  I can do a lot with it (bending, riffs, improvising,
slides, etc. - though still learning so much)... but feel I'd like to do
more.  Does anyone have good information, instruction, online video, or
anything relating on where to get started on how to "over-blow" (I guess
this is considered a type of bend)?  I'm not even sure where to get
started on this and would appreciate any ideas and help in this area.  I
guess it would be considered "Over-blowing 101".  Thanks in advance.

Jeff DeGregorio

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   Confidential information, such as identifiable
patient health information or business information, is subject to
protection under state and federal law.    If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy or
disseminate this information.  If you have received this in error,
please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message.
Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of federal
criminal law.