Re: [Harp-L] stage mic...preferred....

I've been using the Shure 58 for vocals, and the 57 for micing instruments in live situations for 25 years. I have never had an issue with any of my sm series mics (knock on wood), and I have always thought their sound quality is more than adequate. For me it's a prime example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Walters <grant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:38:26
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] stage mic...preferred....

Stage performers:

After a lifetime of playing through shure 58, and 57 mics....
I've been having friends / guests add the shure 58 beta to our mix....

So far it has caused some skewing of our balance...vocals ( acoustic harp) etc...
I hate to change the EQ for one mic when we were used to the set up we had.
When I set the individual eq....for that mic...it gets muddy...( if we all used  beta 58's this would not be an issue).

With an open mind, I tried the 58 beta myself and was a bit uncomfortable hearing my voice a bit brighter....but the harp sounded fine...
I followed up by reading a review on that  beta 58 mic and found others had had some feed back issues ( for vocals)
when they took advantage of the brighter presentation....

In the review I read...the reviewer mentioned a Heil PR35 dynamic microphone....as a better choice..
They were raving about it and noting the old 57-58 technology is 30 years old...or so...( which maybe why I like it...)..

Has anyone used these Heil PR35's for vocal/harmonica combo...
Any feedback...( both kinds)...
do you have a favorite...stage mic...( not studio).  small  nightclub venue... with monitors...

You can send me a note offline...if this seems off topic for the rest of the Harp guys/girls....

thanks

Grant Walters...

close