Re: [Harp-L] Why use the term "perfect" to describe a perfect fourth or a perfect fifth?

Folks,

As I understand it, the so-called "perfect" intervals (recognized for their consonance long before anything like music theory came along) are considered "perfect" because they are so strongly consonant. This is because the ratio of the frequencies of the two notes in the interval may be expressed in small integers, resulting in very low harmonics.

    Unison: 1:1
    Octave: 1:2
     Fifth: 2:3
    Fourth: 3:4

As music developed (and music theory was created to explain it), more "complex", less consonant intervals, whose frequency ratios are expressed with higher numbers, were recognized. The presence of higher harmonics makes them sound less "perfect" to the ear, I suppose.

Dave