[Harp-L] Re: new diatonic tuning for chromatic play with chords

Roger,

Intriguing idea, but having just gotten started with the fourkey layout, I think this layout would drive me nuts. The fourkey is different enough, but at least with the "draw note always higher than blow note" it is "consistent" in a way that helps get the layout in my mind. Maybe "muscle memory" would take over but especially if I was trying to play your "twokey" and fourkey, I think I would get hopelessly lost.

Another advantage of fourkey (in my opinion) is that the "C" root is typically in either hole 1 or 2 giving more notes in the "C" scale. Having the root note in blow 5 would be weird for me. You could slide your layout to the right (and without your hole 1 fix) like this:

BLOW C E  F# G# A C E  F# G# A
DRAW D D# F  G  B D D# F  G  B

but then you lose one of your G chords.

I dunno. Having those two chords doesn't seem to outweigh the downsides enough for me to switch from fourkey.

Jim

Roger Myerson wrote:
BLOW D F# G# A C E F# G# A C
DRAW E F G B D D# F G B D

I think that this is new. Have you seen this tuning or anything like it before?