Subject: RE: [Harp-L] re: who's going to SPAH

Welcome Daniel:

I feel the same way Tom and Bob do..becoming a member is a major first
step. You'll enjoy having your SPAH membership card to identify you. :) Now
you'll be entitled to get the issues of Harmonica Happenings (DO sign up for
the  snail mail version - you'll enjoy looking through the back issues - I
keep mine  in a binder)...there'll be articles and photos - especially the
post-SPAH  issues, and you'll be able to put some of the faces together with
the names of  the people you've interacted with here.

There is SO much camaraderie and that 'family' feeling precisely because
many of these people did meet many years ago and continue getting back
together  year after year is so enjoyable. With the advent of the internet, it's
made it  so much easier to remain connected. I've been a SPAH member only
since  2005 but haven't missed one since. Through the people I now know I've
learned so much about SPAH's history and those who came before. It's added
so much to my life I can't imagine being without all the people I now know
through SPAH and Buckeye.

I'm still hoping to go to this Convention and should know more tomorrow. I
remember my first harmonica convention was fraught with much anxiety:  will
I feel lost and out of place? (As a woman travelling alone miles from home
it's a legitimate concern). I had nothing to worry about...being friendly
and  open to others - especially those who were my elders, made for an
extremely  pleasant SPAH experience.

I was most warmly welcomed. In fact my very first Buckeye  Convention night
(4 months before my first SPAH) some older male  chromatic players noticed
my interest in their music (while I sat far  behind listening in to their
group 'jam'), motioned me over to play along.  I refused politely (it was far
too public for me at the time since I hadn't yet  played in front of
anyone). They persisted. I persistently refused. Finally,  much to my shock, a
couple of them came over, took my chair and physically  lifted me over and into
their circle. <G> While still a bit reluctant to  play along due to my then
huge level of 'stage fright', they  simply forced me to open up and become
one of their group. From then on I  sat with them every night at every
Buckeye. It carried over to SPAH since many  of the same people attended both,
making going to SPAH so much easier.

 I only realized (at the last SPAH I attended) just how far I'd come  when
I walked into the Hotel..heard some people playing, dropped my bag and
immediately joined in playing before bothering to check in.

They got me that first night.

 Over the years I've noticed some more solitary people remaining on  the
sidelines - but seeming to remain there. Usually young people with perhaps a
feeling of not wanting to intrude where they're unknown? Sometimes certain
people can be a bit aggressive and rude so they turn off those they're
attempting to befriend.

So my suggestion to all is: be friendly, but relaxed. Say hello - to
whomever you're standing next to. You will be standing next to someone wherever
you are at SPAH - or sitting next to someone at sometime. Introduce
yourself. We  all wear name tags but we don't all have the best vision or want to
peer closely  at them. If someone looks as though they're having difficulties
moving around,  offer help if you yourself are able-bodied. Or offer to get
them tea,  coffee,water (there are usually machines or even free coffee set
ups at some  Hotels).

If it's close to lunchtime and you see someone else sitting alone - you
might ask them if they've made plans or would like to get together for lunch.
Make a friend in the process.

Above all - be approachable, helpful.  Listen more than talk  initially.
Then join in. Talk about your musical interests. I guarantee that  there's at
least ONE person who shares it and who will be happy to hear you  and/or
play with you. If you can't find anyone interested - find a spot to begin
playing - by yourself. Others do, why not you? Someone will usually either stop
to comment or even join in..it's a good way to meet people. Unless there's
a  seminar or scheduled play going on in your vicinity- everyone plays all
of the  time. Most of the SPAH Hotels have little areas where people are
playing  constantly.

If you're there with a vehicle - offer to take others to: quick trips to:
lunch/coffee/local store. Immediate friends. If you're without a car and the
one  who's in need of a ride - ask - or post a notice on the bulletin
board. I once  (foolishly) didn't ask people I knew to help me get to a local
store when I  badly needed something..so called a cab instead. He left me off
at the door of  the Hotel - which meant I couldn't get my purchases to my
room with one arm in a  sling (torn shoulder). People can be oblivious unless
one speaks up. Later on I  was told that 'of course!' I would have been
assisted by any number of friends  and acquaintances. At the time I felt
decidedly helpless.

'Some' harmonica people can be rude and crude, but for the most part the
majority are absolutely spectacular human beings who will go out of their way
to  help, and if they cannot they will find someone else for you who can.

 The best part of all is that the people you befriend will for the  most
part end up being friends for life. I know those I have now will be mine.  You
can't package, bottle or buy that. And I usually meet more interesting
people at every SPAH.

I hope you find a way to come to SPAH some day. I get the feeling you
definitely belong there.:)

Best,
Elizabeth
"Message: 11