Re: [Harp-L] A Music Lesson to PONDER

On Jul 26, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Robert Hale wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Frank Franze <franze52@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> A Music Lesson to PONDER, link below

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcG40qLX_o&NR=1><<<<<<<<<
>

> I listened, I pondered.
> I like Victor. I love his playing approach.
> I'm not sure I can identify the theme and message here.
>
> Help me out. What do you think he is saying?
>
> Robert Hale
> Learn Harmonica via Webcam
> Low Rates, High Results
> http://www.dukeofwail.com
> http://www.youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL<http://www.youtube.com/user/DUKEofWAIL?feature=mhee>

First, I would have preferred if 'Crapo Marx' had been thumbing his pyano somewhere else.

What 'I' think he's saying is similar to my feelings about sports. You get these commentators that have to tell you all about the players personal business. What his wife bought the other day, what his kids are doing in school, what his parents did while he was growing up. 'I' don't want to hear any of that. I just wanna know if the guy can play ball? Can he play, or can't he play? I don't want to hear about what his sister had for breakfast, or what grades he got in school, or his high school prom. I just want to know if he can play.

So, to extrapolate this, Victor is saying that there's a time to play. Play what you feel and don't worry so much about the theory. I see people here on this (and other) lists ripping apart all these itsy bitsy pieces of info. While there IS a place for them, and I find some to be very educational, most are completely over my head. If I had to think of all these thousands and thousands of bits while I'm playing, my head will explode. It gets too technical.

We learn to walk. We don't need a book, a lesson plan, or mathematics. There are no 5ths, 7ths, diminished. Someone holds us up a little and we do it. We learn to talk. We listen to others. First babbling. Eventually we too make sense. So, put in the road time. Say what you feel. Some people have something to say, some don't. Like Mr. Baker said in his interview. To paraphrase: Some very accomplished technicians have nothing to say while some regular average people do. Learn to communicate. You don't have to be William F. Buckley jr.