Re: [Harp-L] Champ Tube Swap Suggs

----- Original Message ----- Champ Tube Swap Suggs

'78 SF Champ - loving the tone. Any recommendations for tube swap specific to this amp? Muchasgrassyassmuchachos.

Yeah. Which ever ones sound best.

That might sound facetious, but that was my honest reaction. No snark intended.

If you're loving the tone, why swap?

And whichever tubes sound the best are the ones you want, right?

I'm an old radio afficionado, and go to swaps and tailgate fleamarkets where I find tubes in other radio guys junque-boxes usually for a few bux ea max. So I have an assortment of tubes to play with. I'm always on the lookout for audio tubes buried in amongst the RF stuff. I only pay a cple bux, so if the tube is a dud, no big loss.

This is what I do. I'll get a bunch of potential replacement preamp tubes and output tubes ready, marked with a small piece of tape V1 -A V1 -B V2 -A V2 -B etc. and start swapping. It all depends on what the amp is being asked to do. Regarding vintage amps and tubes, each individual amp will have it's own peculiar characteristics, and each individual tube also has a bit of it's own attitude. I can put the tubes on the tester and test electrical properties, but until I put them inside an amp, I won't know how they sound.

You just have to find a combination that you like and will do the job asked of it.

I have a Kalamazoo II for example: There's a Sylvania mid-60s 6BQ5 in the output. Inside the back of the amp is a box of spare tubes. If I'm playing harp, I have a late '40's Navy Jan 12AU7 I put in V1 and use one of my JT-30's early 60's shell & late 50's CM. That combination just honks! Like you say, "loving the tone."

If I use it with my '54RI Strat I'll pull the 12AU7 and put in a Mullard 12AX7 that, in combination with the strat, and an original 808 Tube Screamer, I'll get the most amazing Strat tones you can imagine. I'm not just "loving the tone," I'm dying for it! Gimme more baby, gimme more. I have a GE blackplate 12AX7 that is more twang-friendly to my Tele.

A funny story, I went to a jam with just the strat chainsaw case in one hand and the Zoo in the other. I overhear a guy at the bar say, "What the hell does he think he's gonna do with that little thing?" So I ignored and went and signed in. My turn, I get up, take the SM-58 out of the back and plug into the PA snake, attach the Git to the tube screamer and set the mic in front of the amp. I do my 2 numbers and put it all away and then go over to the bar where this same guy says, "Hey man, what is that little thing?"

It's all about the tone!

It just depends on what you want out of the amp.

Start Swapping!

When life asks you to jump in...
Splash!