Re: [Harp-L] Gear Creep

Elizabeth Hess wrote:
<When you (any of you) gig, how many separate items do you carry with
<you into the club, not counting the contents of your pockets?  What
<trade-offs do you make between things you must have, things you like
<to have, and things you  *might*  want or need, but usually do not?
<E.g. extra batteries for battery-powered items.

A gig is different from a jam.  When I go to a jam session, I carry the Fireball V mic, cable, and inline transformer; the digitech RP355 + power supply; a 20' 1/4" cable to take the RP355 signal to the PA; an AC extension cord; and my small harp case with 14-15 harps in it.  This setup covers a lot of ground, takes only a few minutes to set up, and can be carried easily in a shoulder bag.

When I play with a band, I usually use the same setup.  If it's a solo performance, I may add one or two RPs to the setup along with the associated cables, a looper plus footswitch, an ABY pedal, a vocal mic and stand, a power strip with surge protection and power conditioning, a vocal effects device with power supply, a mixer (if I'm using three RPs), and a harp case that holds about 35 instruments.  It takes a while to set all that stuff up and tear it down, which is why I wouldn't bring it to a jam.

When I do a recording session, I bring about 75 harmonicas in two cases and the Fireball V. I may or may not bring a 5W tube amp plus a blues-style mic, or an amp modeler, depending on what the session is about.  I've considered cutting back on the number of harps I bring to these things, but it often happens that a harp tucked into the back of the case, unused for years (Dorian Minor in B, anyone?), turns out to be exactly what's needed.

None of my gear is battery powered at the moment, but when I get the Zoom G2NU set up to my liking, that may change.

Regards, Richard Hunter

Rgeards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter