[Harp-L] Sugar Ray

I hope you can hear how much power and precision Ray can create, obviously
listening all those nights while with Big Walter. We just had fun,
hopefully you  just take it as such, as Ray opened for Walter for years on the road.
 Interesting when I asked Ray at one time specifically what BW showed him
on the  harp, expecting to get some inside tip. He took a second and said, "
He really  didn't show me Anything, I just had to watch." With so many
masters  now gone, all that is left are recordings, attempts to slow down
specific lines,  something about the heart you cannot duplicate or diagnose; the
man, the  feelings they emoted. Those You Tube videos of Ray at Chan's are
some of  the best live recorded sound we have ever taped, along with Charlie
and  Mark.  Ray is but 57, he has been such an influence, it all just comes
out  naturally. Glad to see Charlie getting his due; for the 13 years I have
known Mark Hummel I just don't feel he gets the respect for putting on these
 shows, it really takes a lot to put on these shows with so many great
performers  and band for one special night. He has precision and a style all his
own, enjoy  them now, these are the stepping stone links of the true
masters. To many  scripted performances, blues is IMO freedom after you hone the
craft of the  instrument. So few of the actual chain of master to protoge is
gone, seems  like someone has to pass on for them to be recognized. While
working on new  ideas, meeting up with John Nemeth in a few weeks, Pierre
Lacocque has been a  great influence, we will get together in September, Andy
Lindermann, plus I will  fly to Calif and connect with Andy Santana, Gary
Smith, Charlie if he can stay  put for a few days..Of course Mitch and maybe
Cheryl if she is available.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNiiPJsnTs_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNiiPJsnTs)

Yes, I know some things are not spelled correctly, just two now very close
friends having a good time. No script.. ** Just got an email while typing
this  from Ross Garren, the young 14 year old who I called up to do the duet
at the  last HMC major show in 2000, he is pursuing his dream and has real
talent, from  the heart..

Be well.. SJ