[Harp-L] Khaen

Richard,
Hal was one of the featured artists at the 2010 Buckeye Harmonica Fest and he also played it at my harmonica party last year.
Halâs Kharen came from Thailand and he really does get some great sounds out of it.
Like you, I was fascinated with it and checked out Pat Missinâs site where Pat says that it is not really related to the harmonica.
Still, it is a really cool instrument that has a unique and very loud voice making amplification unnecessary.
Danny g

The Iceman wrote:
<Worth checking out for those of you bored with the same old same old....

<http://www.halwalkermusic.com/welcome/

That is some VERY cool stuff.  Is he playing an actual Khaen (apparently a Laotian free reed instrument of some kind) on that song "Khaen Rock"?  Man, I gotta get me one of those.  I like the solo harmonic minor harp on "east side revenge" too.

Good find, regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick