Re: [Harp-L] Pointing At The Moon!

Bob Cohen wrote:
<Questions: So, do you plug the unit into the PA or an Amp?  Hi-z or low-z mics?

When I gig with an amp modeler, I run it into the cleanest amp available.  A PA works well. If I can't use the PA, or I want an onstage monitor in addition to the PA, I use a keyboard amp--either a Peavey KB/A 100 or a Peavey KB-2.  I've also used a powered PA speaker with good results.  I tend to prefer the keyboard amps because they have built-in mixers, but so do some powered PA speakers, and in a given price range the powered PA speakers tend to be more powerful (and lighter weight) than the keyboard amps.

<Also, looks like digitec no longer makes the rp200.  The model around that number is 255. Are there any <compelling reasons to buy the new one when the rp200, they're available for very short money? Where does one <get the "patches"?

The RP200 is a good sounding device.  The technology is relatively old now, but so what?  Tube amp technology is somewhere around 90 years old, and it still sounds good.  However, the RP200's reverbs are barely good enough for live use (although the delays sound fine), and you have to put the sounds setups (patches) in by hand, one at a time, which takes at least an hour if you push it.  The newer models (RP255 is the nearest thing, as you said) have a really nice set of reverbs and an expanded set of amp models, and they allow you to connect the piece to the computer via USB, so you can load new patches, up to and including the entire set, in a few seconds.

For these reasons, I recommend that people buy one of the newer models.  I generally recommend the RP355, because it just does more than the RP255, and the price difference isn't that much.  A used RP350, which is almost identical, would be my next choice, followed by an RP255, then an RP250.  But if you think you can't pass up a deal on an RP200, and you're willing to put up with the inconvenience, I can help you with the sounds.

You can find out more about my patch set at:
http://www.hunterharp.com/store/

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter