Re: [Harp-L] Blown Away vs. Fat Bottom

Hi Michael,
I've never dealt with Chuck Gurney and Fat Bottom mics, but I have used Greg Heumann at BlowsMeAway in the past and he was very easy to deal with, quick, and honest.
Greg actually recommended another guy to me, Dennis "Mr. Microphone" Oelling, for certain mic-related work and I was very satisfied with both the quality of his work and his honesty.
The endorsement thing is weird in the harmonica world.  I get the idea that the pros try a lot of different stuff and receive sizeable discounts in exchange for the ability to say that so-and-so professional player uses this mic, amp, etc.  This is really noticeable when it comes to harp-specific mics and amps...  Sonny Jr. And Meteor are two that frequently have the same pros on their site (Kim Wilson, John Nemeth), and BlowsMeAway and Fat Bottom both seem to have or have had relationships with Andy Just.  I had also heard that Mark Hummel was a Meteor user and then later that he was a Sonny Jr user.
I have always wondered just how much of it is true and how much of it was once true but is now outdated.  Most of the well-known harp guys (mic and amp people) seem like good honest people, so I don't think it is a matter of straight-up lying or intent to deceive.
Bill

------Original Message------From: Michael SimmonsSender: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx: Harp-LSubject: [Harp-L] Blown Away vs. Fat BottomSent: Jul 8, 2011 8:46 AM
Ok so I'm new to mics and amps. I want to make a good investment. Two nameskeep coming up Fat Bottom and Blown Away Productions. Here is my dilemma.Both have essentially the same blues performers on their respective sites"endorsing" their products. No in my business that would mean someone isfibbing. As the same guy couldn't endorse the same product for two lines.
So if you wanted to lay out some cold hard cash. Which would you apply yourdollars too? I know this question is wide open but I'm so ignorant on thesubject I'm not sure how to be specific. I would love opinions and commentsabout either or both companies and their products.
Thanks in advance,Mike

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T