Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Price Increase

On 07/01/2011 08:48 PM, Bill Kumpe wrote:
I ask you.  What is so special about a couple of bucks worth of wood or
plastic, stainless and brass that justifies continual price increases with
marginal increases in quality while the rest of the music industry and
industry in general has done just the opposite?
i'll ignore the electronics parts of this. apples and oranges.

doing a little searching, i found some sales figures for guitars and harps:

guitar: $17,856,539,000 in 2005

http://www.vintagerock.com/fakeguitars.aspx

hohner harmonicas: $68.2 million in 2001

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Matth-Hohner-AG-Company-History.html

admittedly, this is just for hohner, but they're a big part of the market.
but you can buy a lot of tooling and automation and process improvement
with $17 billion dollars.

-- We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give. - Kathy Moser