[Harp-L] When do get started with amplification?

It's never too early. Depending on what kind of playing you are doing, a quality harp friendly mic and cable may be all you need. For a number of years when I was sitting in with various bands, I just carried a mic and cord (and an IMT, just in case) and played through the PA. Still do, sometimes, although for giging i have a couple of different fairly powerful amps i use, with a pedal board for each, as well as a smaller third amp for practice and really small giging situations.

My advice would be to get a good quality harp friendly mic and cable and play through the PA if you are going out to jam. To play around at home for practice and fun, just about any harp friendly amp will do.

I always find it amusing when I'm at a jam and watch some harp player set up more gear than i have furniture in my living room just to play a couple of tunes or when they say they need this or that equipment because they can't get their sound any other way. Personally, i don't like bullet mics, but except for that, i think i can get acceptable tone through anything. If you are giging with a band and need to achieve a certain sound or tone for the material or to keep up with the rest of the instrumentation, that's a different thing. But just to play for fun and practice, get a good quality mic and whatever inexpensive harp friendly amp that catches your fancy. The most important thing is to have fun with it.

FWIW, I think it is more interesting to develop an amplified tone/ sound that you like rather than to copy something you've heard on a recording. Harp players with bullet mics and distortion boxes or overdriven tube amps trying to recreate what they call a Chicago blues sound are a dime a dozen and precious few of them actually succeed in creating an interesting electric tone. i think the creative aspect of amplification is that it allows you to create a sound that is your own. I use my amps and equipment to try to recreate the sound/tone i hear in my head, not to imitate something I've heard on a recording. But, YMMV. Anyway, the important thing is to have fun with the electricity, no matter how you decide to go about it.

JP