Re: [Harp-L] Ampeg GVT5-110

joe hagins wrote:
<I am doing my internet research for a good small amp and ran across the new Ampeg GVT5-110 which is a 5watt <1x10 combo.. here are the specs from the Ampeg site.. It looks like a great amp (at least on paper). I like the <fact that it has speaker outs as I could use this to power my Showman 15 Tone-Ring cab for bigger shows.. I <would love to hear your guys thoughts on this amp
<Dual power modesFull power ÃÂÂ 5 watts RMSHalf power ÃÂÂ 2.5 watts RMSPreamp: Tube ( 1 x 12AX7 )Rectifier: <Solid statePower amp: Tube ( 1 x 6V6GT )Speaker configuration: 1 x 10ÃÂÂ CelestionÃÂTone controls: Baxandall <treble and bassSpeaker outputs: 1 x 16 ohm, 2 x 8 ohm and 2 x 4 ohmCabinet: Open-back, void-free 15mm <plywoodDimensions (H x W x D inches excluding handle approx.): 16.0 x 15.5 x 9.1Handling weight (approx.): 28.4 <lbs / 12.9 kg

The specs look good.  However, Musiciansfriend.com lists this amp at $399.  That's almost twice the price of a VHT Special 6, a 6 watt/10 inch amp that's had a lot of favorable reviews.  It's more than twice the price of many 5 watt/8 or 10 inch amps out there by Fender, Crate, Epiphone, etc.

In short, I wonder if you could have just as much fun for half the price.

I'd look for a line-out that you could run to the PA rather than a speaker out, by the way.  It's true that you'll get more volume from a 5 Watt amp when you run it wit a biger speaker, but 5 watts is 5 watts, and a line out would allow you to get as loud as the PA, which is generally the loudest thing in the room.  A line out is something a qualified amp tech can install pretty easily and inexpensively if the amp doesn't already have it.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick