RE: [Harp-L] When do get started with amplification?

Just wanted to share a little something about mics for harp.

You never know. What looks like a piece of junk might be a jewel for harp. I call it the "cheezy factor".

The other day our bass player brought a little mic to the studio and gave it to me as a joke. It looks like junk and with a wink and a grin I plugged it straight into a champ that I was noodling around with and said "you never know". I had my usual mic and effects plugged into the #2 input so I plugged his little 'joke' mic into #1 totally dry. Much to his surprize that little mic had/has a great tone and it just blew him and the others away.

I googled it and here is what I found that shows a photo of the mic:

http://auctions.canadaspace.com/detail_product/360371535135/bullet_microphone/

Thhis site shows a picture and the auction price was $124. However, I saw others for as little as $30 but can not find the web site. The bass player thinks it is a mic that came with a tape recorder. Japan made.

Point being that you do not have to invest a lot of money to get started with experimenting. Heck, when I go into a grocery store I always have this urge to grab the cashier's mic and play a harp thru it.

Find a cheap mic and get a used pignose for a start. Cheezy mic + used pignose + a harp and you could easily be under $100.

Good luck
BW