[Harp-L] Re: When do I get started with amplification?

I agree with Bill. More fun. More better.  I might suggest one qualifier about jumping up at jams etc. to try out playing amped.  If you have zero experience, a virgin player as you out it, the whole feedback monster will likely bite you in the ass. Not something that will make you friends.

If you happen to know someone who owns a small tube amp and some sort of mic you could borrow, you'd at have a chance to loose your cherry in the privacy of your own home.  You'd have the chance to at least work an amps volume and tone controls and see what happens without freaking out the general public. Then you could move on to open jams with a bit more confidence.  Jams are good places to try out different mics to see what you prefer, assuming there is a friendly fellow harper or two in attendance.   Back in the day I was able to discover that I really preferred the Shure "Green Bullet" over the JT-30.  Sort of, "Shall I Fender or shall I Gibson?"  Of course, now I like them both for different reasons.

Eventually you'll need something to have at home. There was a small tube Gibson amp someone mentioned on the forum that's going new for all of $99.  Looked useful. There's also the Epiphone Jr and VHT which are cheap and cheerful, though they seemed to require messing about with to get the most out of them.  If budget permits, my personal small amp favorite are the Kalamazoo Model 1 or 2.  Greg Heumann at www.blowsmeaway.com. has refurbished examples, though there is a waiting list.  You'll pay a bit more than off of Ebay or whatever but you can be confident it will be a solid amp that can last you forever and will always hold it's value. I've even gigged with my Model 1 on many occasions. You'll get a lot of use out of it.