[Harp-L] Turboharp ELX and Jim's Other Innovations

I'd like to add a few words of appreciation and support for Jim Antaki and
his ever-expanding list of Turboharp innovations. I think Jim is one of the
smartest inventors in the harmonica scene, constantly coming up with ideas
that make you say "Wow!". But unlike many of us who have an idea we think is
brilliant, he really works hard to bring his ideas into commercial
production - not easy when many of them are quite complex and radical (like
the ELX). It all takes a lot of time, dedication and his own money.

I believe many of Jim's ideas deserve more interest from professional
players. Once the top players start using them on gigs and videos, the rest
will follow. For example, his  TurboSlide (the diatonic harp with magnetic
"whammy bar") - that really is a cool effect, an add-on which doesn't affect
the normal operation of the harp for bending/overblows etc. The question is,
why are so few using it or even aware of it?

I believe the answer lies in the platforms Jim has chosen to showcase and
mount his models. The Hohner Special 20 is his stock model. It's a fine
harp, but I can't think of a single top player (except perhaps John Popper)
who uses it as their main axe. Virtually every top player is using a
customised traditional-design harp with solid comb and exposed reedplates,
most of them based on the Marine Band.

If Jim wants to get the attention and sales his ideas like the TurboSlide
deserve, I feel he needs to orient his designs so they can be retro-fitted
onto a range of hand-customised MB-type models, as an option for some of the
players who use those harps. Either the fittings such as the TurboSlide or
ELX sensors have to be easy snap-on additions anyone can add to their harp
(not practical with most of them), or it means combining with one or more of
the top customisers to offer the Turbo ideas as an optional extra,
organically combined into the harp by the customiser.

Top players are always looking for new ideas they can add to improve their
sound or give them extra functionality. If they can stick with the harps
they love to play but have extra go-faster knobs on that don't interfere
with their sound or the ergonomics of their interface, I'm sure some will
give them a try and come up with cool stuff that will make the rest of us
say "Hey, how's he doing THAT?!". Once that happens, the cheaper S-20
versions will start to fly off the shelves.

I've already said this to Jim in private at SPAH last year, so when I read
he was intending to make the S-20 the new flagship model for his TurboSlide
my heart sunk for him. This man deserves more reward for his brilliance, and
I think the only way to get that is by attracting the top players to start
using some of his innovations. The only way is by adapting the ideas to the
harps they like to play. I hope one or two of the name customisers is
reading this and gets in touch with Jim to talk turkey.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic