Re: Re: [Harp-L] racks

gnarlyheman@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I rework the K&M rack to make it better, and have a YouTube describing it--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6iOkk8Yq8&feature=channel_video_title
I am happy to build another one of these if anyone is interested in purchasing one.
Gary Lehmann

I've been meaning to thank Gary for his innovative concept and excellent video describing his modifications to the K&M rack. I made one for myself per his video and it is as Gary says, much better, with a far greater ability to adjust the rack to make it more comfortable. It actually made mine usable as the original design just wouldn't fit me correctly, making it very uncomfortable to use. Gary's modfications turned a useless rack into the best one I've ever tried (though I have admittedly not tried Vern's "Maserati" rack). It's so far and away superior to the old "clothes hanger" style racks that it isn't funny.

Incidentally, if you are interested in making one of Gary's modded K&M racks, B&H Photo-video has some good prices:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=harmonica+holder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=harmonica+holder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes>

You'll see there are three models on that page. The $12.99 one is not of the quality of the other two. I find that the $15.99 has a metal clip with tabs for the harps that I prefer over the rubber covered clamp style of the $25.00 model. Buy two of the $15.99 ones and you will have the parts to make one of Gary's modded racks for under $32. If you prefer the rubber covered harp clamps, get one of the $25 ones and one of the $15.99 ones. I have both and can verify that the parts are interchangeable other than the aforementioned different style harp clamps.*

So thanks, Gary. Your modification to the K&M rack makes it what I call the "Poor Man's Ergonomic Harp Rack!"

Michelle

* OK, I just can't help but re-tell the story of the infamous K&M harp rack debacle...
My harmonica mentor, Harry Harpoon, was opening for a fairly big act; I think it was Jimmy Thackery or Tab Benoit. After watching him fumble and fuss with his ancient coat-hanger style rack, on which he had rebuilt the silly thumbscrew locking mechanism dozens of times, I had gifted him with a K&M rack (the style with the rubber-coated harp clamps). The knurled knob locking mechanism of the K&M brought immediate approval, but he wasn't sure about those rubber-coated harp clamps. Turns out his concerns were well-founded. Harry came out for his opening tune, sat down and tried to fix his harp in those rubber-coated clamps. I could sense trouble. Then all of a sudden, the harp shot out of the rack, over his bass drum and bounced onto the stage 10-12 feet in front of him. I was mortified when I saw him calmly rise from his seat, walk out in front of his one-man band set up and retrieve the errant harmonica. He then had to go to his harp kit, get his rickety, yet trusty hanger-style rack, return to his seat and finally begin his opening tune. All the while the audience waiting in anticipation of the evening's music. The whole debacle seemed to take an hour or so, even though it probably took only a few extra seconds. It nigh on to killed me to think I had caused him all this embarrassment.
Lesson learned: Now you know why I prefer the tabbed metal-style harp clamp!