Re: [Harp-L] Newcomer with questions

Your overall technique needs adjustment. As a newbie, now is the time to do it before bad habits are ingrained.

Breathe the harmonica - not "suck" and "blow". The energy used is closer to "humming" rather than "whistling" energy. The lower notes are more forgiving of improper technique. The higher notes will show your weaknesses. You shouldn't have to change embouchure at the high end.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Thomas <danchristhomas50@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Jan 29, 2011 6:22 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Newcomer with questions

Hey, I'm a new comer  focusing on "cross harp " . Im having a terrilble time
withthe 8 and 9 draw, its not the harp cause if I cover the adjacent holes
with my fingers I get a nice note out of it, also its more than 1
harp(special20s Hammond, ) Should my embrocure change in the upper end of
the harp? is the spacial relationship of the reeds diferent on the upper
end? I have tried soft play, I just cant seem to find it.  also when I find
a song that I want to learn it is usually in 1st position then I transpose
into 2nd position to learn it, is that what you guys are doing or is there a
better way? Since I cant type any better than I can play I am going to say
thankyou right now for any help. THANK YOU !!