RE: [Harp-L] That great "Bluesy" stage sound

"Peter S..." wrote:
<I personally find that the digital effects boxes add a subtle sterility to
<the sound.

I've put dozens of samples of playing in different styles, including amped blues, with the Digitech RPs up on my website at http://www.hunterharp.com/category/hunters-music/recorded-performances-live-and-otherwise/, almost all of which were recorded live in various settings (on stage and in studio) without post-recording processing.  Rather than argue that these devices don't sound "sterile," I invite anyone who's interested to listen for themselves.

I think that stuff sounds good, of course, or I wouldn't put it in public view.  I also think that the sheer versatility and price-for-performance of this technology is amazing.  And I know for a fact that modeling technology is used onstage by some very demanding players besides myself--Brendan Power and his Korg Pandora comes to mind immediately.

As people who've followed my posts for a while know, I try to avoid saying things like "this technology or that technology doesn't sound very good." There are lots of ways to sound good; amp modeling technology is one of them.

But like I said, anyone who cares to hear my pieces is welcome to decide for themselves. And of course, to comment as they see fit, here or elsewhere. I would naturally appreciate it if those who commented made a point of mentioning which piece they're talking about (as opposed to saying "I thought it sounded thin" without naming the piece), so we can all compare our impressions and learn something in the process. In my opinion, the more we learn, the more we're likely to appreciate the virtues of all the technologies we have available to us.  I've certainly learned a lot about mics on this list in the last couple of years from knowledgeable members like Greg Heumann.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick