Re: [Harp-L] Re: Re-Interest

This is the kind of referral that opens a new door for me...I checked out JB's recording "Vietnam". Totally sparse and simplified arrangements, haunting vocals, and very original in execution. Voice is that Chet Baker androgynous male/female sound. mostly sounds like one man w/guitar, singing. Other cuts have a very sparse drum accompaniment. subtlety and low key, it is a great addition to my reinterest list. Definitely the less is more school.

What is fun about John Hammond is that you can hear his progression over the years. His early stuff is pretty beginner sounding - especially the harmonica. Sounds like a newbie playing. Good example of someone who sticks with it and improves in the public's "ears". Should give any newbie inspiration.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Jan 23, 2011 8:36 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Re-Interest

Though they contain no harmonica whatsoever, J.B.Lenoir's acoustic
recordings, recently re-released as "Passionate Blues" on Bellaphon,
are my "desert island disc" and continue to inspire me and renew my
faith in the blues every time I go back to them. Originally released
on 2 LPs and recorded in 1965 and 1966 under very simple conditions
in Chicago by Horst Lippmann, the man who brought the blues to
Europe, these brilliant songs also feature Little Walter's drummer
Fred Below, inventor of the Chicago shuffle (obligatory harmonica
content ;-) on many cuts plus  backing vocals from Willie Dixon on a
couple of tunes.

I've been listening to these gems for at least 35 years and keep
returning to them. JB was a brilliant singer and unique guitar
stylist, the songs are beautifully performed and offer an object
lesson in how complex, varied and subtle blues grooves can be. They
also provide a rare example of an African American singer who wasn't
afraid to sing about social and political issues at a time when it
was a lot safer to keep your mouth shut.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com