[Harp-L] re:Repair question

Hi John,
To remove burrs I use a draw scraper on the sides of the reed supported by a
thin piece of shimstock.Burrs  can sometimes be difficult to see.
Burrs can also occur on both sides of the slot.
The rivet needs to be properly peened and secure. There is more lateral
movement on lower reeds, but if any reed is insecure problems
such as movement against the slot,
tuning, buzzing, and general misbehaviour result. When pushed hard an
unsecured reed will float.
Hand tools are preferable for reed work. A dremel is too powerful and can
cause burrs itself.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
ATB,
Jimmy

I mostly play Special 20's and have been generally satisfied with their
out-of-the-box quality. Recently, though, I've had two harps which buzz on a
deep draw 2 bend. I've opened up one of the buzzing harps and checked both
the draw & blow reeds on hole 2 for burrs and alignment problems. I think
the buzzing is coming from the draw reed--when I stabilize the draw 2 reed
and do a deep bend, allowing only the blow reed to vibrate, I get the bent
note with no buzzing. Why would the draw reed on hole 2 buzz when the blow
reed comes into action while bending? I used a dremel with a fine grit to
burnish off any burrs on the draw reed but that didn't fix anything? Is it
the rivet? Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thanks, John