[Harp-L] Winslow on Bluegrass

Winslow our resident expert brings up a good point about the benefits of finding a "slow session". I'll pass on this useful tip, if you have an interest in playing old time or bluegrass, or just building chops and getting away from blues cliches go to Homespun Tapes and get yourself Steve Kaufman's 4 Hour Bluegrass Workout - a fantastic set that Tony Ayers turned me onto and also their "Old Time Music Party" which features the very wonderful fiddling of Bruce Molsky. Both present tunes at half and full tempo and will set you up nicely with the most popular session tunes. Good stuff!!!

From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Celtic musicians can likewise look with a severe eye on beginners joining in at
expert sessions.

Which is why slow sessions exist. People new to the music and/or new to their
instrument can get together with others at the same level (and perhaps a patient
accompanist) and learn the tunes at a manageable tempo. This gives them a
welcoming environment to develop the tune knowledge and chops to eventually join
in at the expert sessions.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa