[Harp-L] Re: Bluegrass: thoughts and observations

Fired me up on this one. How any harmonica player can say harmonica doesn't
"fit" in bluegrass is beyond me. That's the same thing some people say about
harp no matter what the genre, unless maybe blues. In fact, as several
others have pointed out, there have been harmonicas in bluegrass and one
with the master himself, Bill Monroe.

IIRC Jim and Jesse McReynolds had a harp player in at least one incarnation
of their bluegrass band instead of fiddle. I forget who it was but he was
fabulous.

Whether you like him or not, Mike Stevens is amazing and plays bluegrass.
Just because you think it doesn't sound as good as fiddle doesn't mean it
can't be done. Who makes up these rules anyway?

As soon as you start making these kind of rigid stipulations, music stops
growing and becomes a museum piece. That is interesting, too, but it doesn't
mean that's all that's allowed. There's a Newgrass branch of bluegrass, too.
David and Trip provide excellent proof that harp and bluegrass fit well
together. I gotta believe that any harper who says otherwise is just trying
to stir the pot. Or else inhaling it. ;^)

Cheers, Bob Loomis
Concord CA USA