Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica in Bluegrass

Some 15 years ago, I started playing "New Orleans Jazz"...Other wise
known... In England anyway, as  "Trad Jazz"..     On my  harmonica.

I performed many times with Brian Green's New Orleans Stompers, In London
UK... At "Pizza Express' ,"Pizza on the Park" and at many other prestigious
London Jazz venues.

Folks said "There is NO PLACE for the harmonica in New Orleans  Jazz"...
But of course THERE IS... The harp can play the clarinet part... Or it's
OWN part.... In the arrangement.

Same in bluegrass... Mostly, the harmonica will play along with, or instead
 of.. The fiddle in bluegrass music, and it can sound just wonderful.

Let's face it.

In most genres of music, people tell us that  the harmonica is
"inappropriate"... In classical music, people like  Robert Bonfiglio,  Douglas Tate, as
well as Larry Adler  PROVED that not to be the  case!

I believe the harmonica, sensitively played, fits into most ANY genre of
music.

It saddens me that people can be so ridged in their perceptions of music
genres... I myself have been criticized many times for... For example... For
playing a Little Walter tune, and for not copying "his" solo...

I don't copy. I like to be INSPIRED ...

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines

In a message dated 1/24/2011 12:18:05 A.M. Malay Peninsula Standard ,