Re: [Harp-L] lowering the pitch of a reed with solder

On Jan 15, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Johnnie Harp wrote:

Joe says "I use a chip of reed, OR tinsel OR sliver of lead from shotgun shot. I super glue it..."

Golf stores used to carry self-adhesive lead tape to adjust the swing weight of a golf club … Not sure if it's still available… If so this would be a very convenient way to add weight to the tip of a reed as it is essentially lead foil ... heavier than aluminum foil ...

Right, it is also used to balance fan blades and small machinery wheels. . But the preferred method is to drill recesses into blades and wheels to bring them into balance. (look at clock balance wheels) I used to use the tape to balance arrows.

Probably some super glue as Smokey Joe mentions would be required to secure the lead in place due to the small amount of lead tape required therefore limited self adhesive ...

Yes, I would think so.