Re: [Harp-L] lowering the pitch of a reed with solder

I use a chip of reed, OR tinsel OR sliver of lead from shotgun shot. I super glue it and clamp with a paper clip. Then use an emory board to tune it. I have also used solder, fingernail polish and brass powder, and other junk. Whatever works best for the pitch reduction desired.
For major tuning I use a tiny camera motor with a piece of ink eraser glued to the shaft. And ONE aaa battery OR partially dead AA, C, or D battery. The motor will stall before any damage is done. MY tuner is made from a penlight. Motor and battery in place of 2 batteries. For extreme carving on small watch type parts, I use a fingernail buffer. The cheesier the better as anything with more than a few inch ounces of torque can send a reed across the room and into your partner's throat. lolol. Btw, you must be aware of the direction of travel of the shaft. You also need to back up the reed by placing half a double edged razor blade between it and the plate. And while you're at it, hold the reed in place with a toothpick or if you have long enough finger nails.

Dremels and associated high powered tools are best left to the dental technicians, jewelers, and rocket surgeons who have a lot of experience with them. Work slowly as your time is certainly not worth the $16.40-55.35 an hour you loose when you destroy a harp.

smokey joe & the Cafe s