[Harp-L] Sonny Jr Super Cruncher Upgrade, from another happy customer

I've known Gary Onofrio (aka Sonny Jr.) since I bought my original Four-Ten amp from him 5 years ago or so, after meeting and hearing him at one of Dave Barrett's Harmonica Masterclass events. He taught an amp clinic at that session and I was impressed by how well he knew his stuff. I had bought a few amps before that, not knowing what I was doing - wasted my money. THIS amp was The One. It made me sound better, got me my first gigs, and taught me a lot about how to get great tone.

A few years later he told me he had come up with a wonderful mid-size amp called the Cruncher. Around that time I was starting to gig a lot, and I wanted a backup amp- so I bought it. Gary was right - it was an awesome amp with killer tone. With the line-out into the house sound system, it was the house amp for our San Francisco area pro jam for a few years, and no harp player ever complained about "having" to play through it.

Fast forward another year or more - Gary told me he figured out how to make the Sonny Jr Four-Ten even better. How could that be possible? But I took his word for it and upgraded that amp to the Super Sonny. Damn if he wasn't right again. The amp was even better than before - more cut and projection and still room-filling, jammer-guitar-crushing volume- I LOVED that amp (still do.) Fast forward again - he came out with the Avenger - his best work yet, he said. How could anything bet better than my Super Sonny? And after agonizing about parting with my Super Sonny to fund the Avenger purchase, I went for it. Right again - just a killer amp. Gary just can't help himself. He is BEYOND obsessive when he comes to continually improving his designs.

As much as I loved the Cruncher I found I was only using it for gigs with my own band, or where I knew I could count on sound reinforcement - because in other situations it might not be loud enough. Evidently other people mentioned this to Gary too. Knowing Gary, he probably lost sleep over it, and then spent countless hours tryin' stuff like he always does - and came out with the Super Cruncher - an upgrade that can be applied to any Cruncher. Well I installed the upgrade this week, a significant part of which is a MONSTER output transformer. And I got to play through it last night, and listen to several other accomplished players play through it too. All I can say is WOW! It sounds much bigger than it is. Louder than it was, better projection, great bass, easily approachable and soft feedback threshold, stunning tone and crunch when you want it. All the players (and even a few guitar players) went out of their way to tell me how great it was.

So I've learned through many experiences to trust that when Gary says something is better, it simply is. He doesn't blow smoke. And I want to thank him publicly for his outstanding support over the years. In all these transactions and various emails and phone calls in between, he has never failed to answer a call or an email within 24 hours - usually less. EVER. He has earned my 100% confidence and trust. Gary knows harp tone like nobody's business. I LOVE his amps. I know there are other good amps out there - I know and respect many of the builders. Wish I could play all of them. All I know is that with a track record like this I have no reason to switch. These are simply outstanding amps.

If you own a Cruncher, DO the Super Cruncher upgrade. You will lose nothing and gain a lot. If you don't, and are in the market for an amp, know that you don't have to mess around chasing amp after amp, spending more after the purchase to "upgrade" it trying to make it right - save your time and money and just get one of these. If you can't get good tone out of one of Gary's amps, you will KNOW that it ain't the amp - which is a wonderful motivator to teach you how to improve your own technique. Of course, a BlowsMeAway mic can help you sound your best... ;)

Gary didn't know I was going to write this. He certainly didn't ask me to, nor do we have any commercial relationship. Just wanted to spread the word about Gary, his amps and the Super Cruncher.

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/duracool/id343874731