[Harp-L] Mark Hummel's Blues Harmonica Blowoff his weekend in SF Bay Area
- To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx, bluegrassharp <bluegrassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, harptalk <harptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [Harp-L] Mark Hummel's Blues Harmonica Blowoff his weekend in SF Bay Area
- From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:51:01 -0800 (PST)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1294782661; bh=21GyJ4nNQbBusf/FmZNzegsueDcj1fkIUSgaLz8ZHSA=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=tS36ZongKkkA8AfmpDCRrenZGvIzPPT2wMHt8Q0Me6ZVCjRnfFJM8pulsGBBXsiz8jrPtbY6H7x3VWWemTWJ3SJh9dvL1oTvvG8oaOdGgozoNDNVEvYs0aTDM5uRKU2hbRMU+R2Z8PQIry6AjxYP+XWNx1OhBYliqyKzek9aO6Y=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=2TP/a6eIzYlBKjwS00m05+iFM36BpdusZnjFFhD1NGoCcgJwMg1vlRBdBVyOksRESDnZBi0cG0gXUVna2u2Zk9vGMU5gGh4xysJK4IJYlajh/Oh61epZVDW71mlw5LKv9WuszjDK8PF7R0vkFiJ9Z/guql43WWfZ20/ABpSOELM=;
Mark Hummelâs Harmonica Blowouts in Oakland This Friday, Saturday and Sunday
This weekâs must-see is also a great bargain. Blues veteran Mark Hummel brings
his Blues Harmonica Blowoff to the San Francisco Bay Area for three evenings at
the hip-yet-opulent Yoshiâs nightclub at the heart of the exciting Jack London
Square entertainment district in Oakland. This is a safe area, central and easy
to get to, with good offstreet parking.
While ticket prices are reasonable, the real bargain is the rich and varied
blues harmonica talent all gathered in one show. You get to see and hear not
only Mark, but four other excellent and highly distinctive blues harmonica
Rod Piazza (yes, with Miss Honey at the piano). Rod is one of the great showmen
of the blues who gets the whole room rocking and keeps it that way.
Chicago stalwart Billy Branch, whose traditional values are reflected in his
past tenure with Willie Dixon and later membership in Sons of Blues. Billy comes
from inside the tradition, but extends it in exciting ways.
The high-octane Sugar Blue, who has recorded with both Willie Dixon and the
Rolling Stones and is thought to be the model for John Popper (but remains
firmly rooted in the blues).
Carlos del Junco, the eclectic "mongrel blues" Cuban Canadian, who adds
overblowing to solid blues chops while adding a little Latin and jazz - and some
just plain slamminâ R&B - into the mix.
Of course Mark Hummel is a master stylist who always brings a fresh approach
that continues to resonate with the core of electric blues tradition while
reinventing it from a deep knowledge of the less-explored roots and offshoots,
always with a strong musicality and crowd-pleasing sense of dynamics and pacing.
And he's a great producer and host for this great show.
Shows are Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, with a Sunday matinee. For more
info and to order tickets, visit:
http://www.yoshis.com/oakland/jazzclub/artist/show/652 Winslow Yerxa
Author, Harmonica For Dummies ISBN 978-0-470-33729-5
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and