From: michael rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Feb 26, 2011 8:20 am
Subject: [Harp-L] What is the difference between D7#9 and D7b9?

If I am reading him correctly, Mark Levine states they are the exact
same chord, that they are both 1 3 5 7b 9b 9# 11#.  In the Real book
volume two, there are songs have show both chords.  Bob Herndon told
me that for D7b9 he plays D D# A C D# and leaves out the sharp 9 and
the sharp 11 to produce a cleaner chord on the harmonetta.  Since I
had already read Levine's statements I did not ask Herndon what he
does for D7#9, I thought I would just do the same thing, but now I am
second guessing myself.  To produce a cleaner chord but suggest the
sharp 9, should I leave out the flat 9 and sharp 11?
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com