From: BluzeHarp@xxxxxxx
Date: February 25, 2011 10:06:13 PM PST
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Crystal mic element in a vacuum (was which mic to buy)

In a message dated 2/25/2011 11:10:20 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, Vern
writes:
I don't know much about crystal mics but from the posts about them they
seem to be some kind of hygroscopic salt. Would subjecting a degraded
crystal to a vacuum restore its "zorch?" ...

Vern, I've tried that (38 year refrigeration background). I've been able
to moderately improve output on a couple weak elements, most weak ones
didn't improve at all. Full 'zorch' was never restored. One weak specimin
died! I'd say less than 10% of the weakened elements are candidates, but, my
sample size was much too small to draw any definite conclusions. Zero
dead elements came back to life.

...<SNIP>