[Harp-L] Toots' Formula - transcription & analysis

It's such an immense pleasure to work on this new page. For many years I had planned to share the many solo transcriptions that I've done in the years. Especially the transcriptions of great moments in Toots' playing.

Why those "great moment in Toots' playing"? Because I think he is a genius in applying harmonica specific lines that fit so incredibly well within the harmonic context of the passage. We all can learn a lot from his approach and there is so little good material out there ... with "good" I mean transcriptions and analysis by someone that plays the harmonica. Most of the transcription out there are made by conservatory students or musicians that play another instrument. So, I thought let's add my 2 cents to the wonderful world of Toots' way of playing jazz.

Another event triggered me to start writing this article. A week ago I listened again to his album Footprints. Especially the tune If You Could See Me Now struck me! I suddenly realized that Toots' playing on this tune includes 99% of his "formula". By analyzing this one recording, we can grasp almost every aspect of Toots' playing. That we be nice ... wouldn't it ... ;-)

Well, I started yesterday and also today I worked on the transcription. For you to enjoy the first results at http://www.effortlessharmonica.com/harmonica-how-to-play/tunes/jazz-standards/toots-formula/

I will finish that webpage bit by bit and will inform you through the blog of the progress. By subscribing to the blog (e-mail) you will automatically receive digests on a daily basis.

Hope to see you at http://www.effortlessharmonica.com .

Have great fun,

Wim