[Harp-L] Re. the Seydel 1847

I¹ve been playing amplified harp for about 45 years ­ starting with the
ubiquitous wood-comb Hohner Marine Band. I¹ve tried Hohner Big Rivers (Paul
deLay¹s fave) and Special 20¹s. Suzukis,  Herings, Lee Oskars and Bushman.

Prior to buying a bunch of Seyedel 1847s, some years back, I almost
exclusively employed Bushman Delta Frosts ­ which are loud, bright and
responsive. However, I¹ve now slowly but surely replaced almost all the
harps in my two main cases with the Seydel 1847. The 1847¹s are to my aging
ear even louder, brighter and more responsive than the Delta Frosts....and
the stainless steel reeds never seem to die.

I have no interest in running down the other brands. Each to his own. I will
reveal, for product comparison purposes, that I¹m moderately hard on harps.
I suspect that¹s true because I play a lot of single hole stuff (with
?popping¹ slurs and runs) that¹s fairly percussive. Also employ
tongue-blocked chords that rely on the abrupt release of air for rhythmic
punctuation.  I don¹t overblow much or modify (embossing, etc.) or customize
my instruments...so appreciate a harp that¹s well made out of the box.

I do understand that for different styles of musicianship that various
styles and techniques of harp manufacture (and customization) provide needed
versatility. Stating the obvious ­ the only way to find out which brand of
harp¹s best for you is to sample the variety of makes and (der) use the one
that suits you best.

I have nightmares about 1847¹s going out of production ­ if rumors of that
unfortunate event ever began to circulate I¹d buy enough 1847¹s in one go to
last my lifetime. I don¹t believe I¹d have to worry about buying too many
back-ups ­ except in the high note range ­ as I¹ve heard no tell-tale signs
of immanent failure in the harmonicas I bought over 6 years ago.

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.