Re: [Harp-L] Charlie Musselwhite - Hot Tuna Performance

On 02/14/2011 04:35 PM, av1901@xxxxxxx wrote:
My wonderful wife bought tickets and took me to a great show here last night in my home town.
must be the trend this year.  i bought my brother a ticket for xmas, and we
saw 'em last week.  great show.

It was billed as Hot Tuna Blues and included Charlie Musselwhite on the bill! Guitar player GE Smith (former Saturday Night Live TV band leader) sat in. Charlie played some great accoustic blues and the after intermission cut loose with some razor sharp Chicago blues.
i would have liked to see more of charlie. i grew up on hot tuna's first album,
with jack, jorma and will scarlet. in my mind, bass + guitar + harp defines blues.

I can't really describe it too well, but Charlie has a tone and a lyrical style all his own. Great 3rd position playing (Christo Rendentor) and the guy just looks, at 67 years old, like the blues
funny, i had the thought halfway through the second set that jorma
has become the aging bluesman he used to emulate in his youth.

-- We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give. - Kathy Moser