[Harp-L] Re: How to instruct musicians at open jam

Hi, Bill

If I know the groove well in my head, I will vocalize the rhythm I want to the drummer and bass player. There is a TRULY EXCELLENT resource out there that will help anyone communicate grooves - something that is indeed hard to name and do. There isn't just one shuffle, there are dozens.

Check out Jimi Lee's "Every groove a bluesman needs to know" - a wonderful set of jam trax with guitar, bass, drums and keys - that illustrates a BUNCH of different grooves. Each one is named, and there is a written explanation of each. Here is the explanation for Disc 1, track 1:

"Jimmy Reed Shuffle in E - this is a great place to start. A straight ahead shuffle with the bass walking from the root, or 1st degree, to the sixth degree. Root-Third-Fifth-Sixth-etc. and the drummer shuffling on the snare and ride cymbal. Great songs like Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me To Do" are classic examples and mandatory for a Bluesman and any well rounded musician's reprertoire. This groove is sometimes called a "Delta Shuffle."

There is an explanation like that for every track and there are 31 tracks on the 2 CD set. Really valuable stuff that will help you communicate with the band.

See http://www.jimileeband.com/ and go to the "Buy CD's" section.

Highly recommended.
/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/duracool/id343874731

Hello all,

I've been going to a local blues jam lately.

Because I sing as well as play harp, the house band usually lets me call the tunes. I normally just call out something along the lines of "shuffle in G, from the V" (or whatever else) and count it off. It all winds up sounding good and tight, albeit a little generic- sounding from the rhythm section.

That's all well and good, but I don't know how to communicate some of the shuffle-type rhythms that sound great with harmonica, such as you'd hear Little Charlie and some of the other west coast guys do.

The song I'm thinking of the most is "Too Poor", the Lynwood Slim cover of the Detroit Jr. tune. How would I describe that type of rhythm to guys who haven't necessarily heard the song?