[Harp-L] How to instruct musicians at open jam?

Hello all,

I've been going to a local blues jam lately.

Because I sing as well as play harp, the house band usually lets me call the tunes.   I normally just call out something along the lines of "shuffle in G, from the V" (or whatever else) and count it off.  It all winds up sounding good and tight, albeit a little generic-sounding from the rhythm section.

That's all well and good, but I don't know how to communicate some of the shuffle-type rhythms that sound great with harmonica, such as you'd hear Little Charlie and some of the other west coast guys do.

The song I'm thinking of the most is "Too Poor", the Lynwood Slim cover of the Detroit Jr. tune.   How would I describe that type of rhythm to guys who haven't necessarily heard the song?

Any ideas?  Thanks for any advice you can give on this.

Bill
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T