[Harp-L] Thoughts and Appreciations

Blues gentlemen and ladies ... I appreciate the excellent feedback from you
all after my recent post regarding harp mics. You certainly came through.
Since so many of you took the time to answer my post via harp-l and email, I
will take the time to offer you my thoughts and appreciations.

I heard from many, many harp players who supplied me with plenty of good
advice and some very cool links. It was an experience. The custom harp mics
knocked me out. I never knew there were harp mics made from wood. I don’t
know if I understand all the technical nuance that differentiates one mic or
element or crystal from another, but now I kind of want one of those wooden
mics with my initials tooled into the grill. That’s some beautiful
craftsmanship.

But I’m a simple man. You know, this is off the subject, but, like a lot of
harp players, I taught myself to play. Got my first harp after I won a twist
contest at Lake Spivey in Jonesboro, Georgia years ago and the prize was a
Jimmy Reed 45. "Bright Lights, Big City" on one side and I don’t remember
what was on the other. That record is what inspired me to pick up the harp.
I went out and bought my first Marine Band for $1.75. The first song I
figured out how to play was the theme from that old TV show, "Death Valley
Days" ~ all blow notes. And since I’m sharing, I’ll tell you that by the
time I realized there was a top or a bottom to a harmonica, I was already
used to playing it upside down.

Anyway, back to the harp mic situation, I think for right now I’m going to
have the green bullet refitted and maybe get the old Astatic refurbished as
a back-up. I’m willing to spend some coin on a serious upgrade, but I want
to nose around for awhile, not be seduced by the beauty and rich, warm
resonance of a Canadian Burl Maple harmonica microphone with laser engraving
and JML tooled across the grill.

But there’s another reason I decided to hang onto my old green bullet for
awhile longer. If you read my last post, you’ll know the cord in my bullet
loose and I had to take it apart and resolder it. Looking at it, with its
wires pulled loose, I felt a certain empathy. I like the weight of it and
the way it fits my grip. We have a history; I’m used to it. It’s worn and
scuffed across the grill and there are dings and scraps and scratches from
playing it and dropping it on the floor for the last 10 years, and I
realized I respect the thing like I would a long-time band mate. It’s a
little like that old raggedy guitar Willy Nelson plays with the hole worn
through the soundboard from all the years of strumming and picking. Willy
could get him a guitar that is prettier and plays better, but he hangs with
that old beat-to-heck-and-gone guitar out of sentimentality, I suppose.

Anyway, that’s the situation. Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Love this site, appreciate you harpers.

(sign me) Mac the Harp