[Harp-L] OT: music that sounds good in only one key

Off Topic

A fine piano player acquaintance declined to transpose my song to new key
because he believed it could not sound "right". The new key would be harsh
and intolerable. He was entirely capable of transposing instantly.

He wasn't referring to the familiar key of the original, nor the vocalist's
range. There was something absolute about certain keys to him.

What is the basis for this belief in certain frequencies and keys? (please,
no dismissive responses) Give me keywords and I will do the homework.
Thanks, all.

(Let me know if there's another forum better suited to this question)

Robert Hale
*http://www.dukeofwail.com*
*
*