Re: [Harp-L] Questing For a Basic Competency in Jazz

On Feb 5, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Elizabeth Hess wrote:
The question that sums it up is, "What does a decent jazz player do when a song is called that he/she doesn't know?" What SHOULD he or she do?

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth (aka "Chrome Lizzie"?)

In progressive jazz (at least), the usual structure is for the entire group to do a 'clean' (no embellishments) Head section (which we will call A). Then the bridge (which we can call B). Then individual soloists do their improv (embellished) sections on the A, and if there is time also the B. Sometimes, if the group is large, the A and B are split between 2 soloists. After this the band comes back in with a finalie, which is usually another clean A section.

So, here's the deal. You don't actually HAVE to know the tune. All you need to do is key into the chord changes. Then work YOUR solo ON these. This is called 'turning the chords'. Now on parts where the instruments are playing harmony, you may want to sit out. But if you think you can add background (and NOT detract for the overall sound), you may be able to add things. Even if they are long held humming chords. Remember, strive to never DEtract from the overall sound. Trad (or dixieland) sometimes has places where too many of the instruments are playing all at the same time. But THAT style came about (initially) by people who would literally kill to play, and is not what you want. Modern follows no rules, and not what 'I' want, so I don't do it.

smokey joe