Re: [Harp-L] Bending while tongue blocking?

Roger -

The obstruction - the narrowing of the air passage - is what sets up the
resonant chamber. It's what I call the activator.

As you noted, you can bend by partially obstructing the hole - with only the
activator. This is how accordionists bend notes, at the point where the key
lifts a pallet to allow air into the accordion.But these bent accordion notes
always sound like the note is sickly in tone and poorly controlled in comparison
with a good harmonica bend. You can have far more control, precision, and tonal
fullness by moving the activator back so that you also have a tuned resonant
chamber.

The pressure or suction that you feel at the activation point is not the cause
of the bend. That's just a byproduct of the change in air speed that occurs
through the narrowed passage. Increasing the pressure beyond a certain point
will not make the bend any more effective. However, the pressure or suction is a
useful gauge that tells you whether or not the activator is engaged.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com