[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 89, Issue 67

In the video of the backporch jam that Dave posted yesterday, Dave did
something that I wish some harmonica players I know would do. He
basically played continuously. Sometimes he played a short solo,
sometimes he played fills, but most of the time he was playing rhythm
behind the guitar player.

If some of the harmonica players I know would learn to do that, they
would be more valued in the jam or other setting -- blues or
bluegrass.

Instead, here is what I see at my weekly jam. There are ten people
sitting in a circle. Each one gets a chance to solo. The guitar
players play continuously, holding down the rhythm when they are not
soloing. The harmonica players mostly sit around looking bored,
waiting to play their big solo.

I just wish chugging and chopping were more a part of harmonica
instruction around my area.

Bill in DC