Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Essential listening suggestions

While Santana wrote the brilliant 'Europa' and duets with Gato on the
tune, I've come to think of Barbieri's as the definitive version (don't shoot
me!)<G>

...it's perfect saxophone music (separately from the amazing guitar
version).

I tend to favour playing sax music on my own chromatic and wonder if that's
 where Ron Kalina was going with his? I must now get Ron's CD particularly
for this one song although I'm sure the rest of his playing is also great.

..(at one SPAH about 3 years ago a young player asked me to keep  hitting
repeat on my Ipod as I practiced playing along with this version -  he was so
blown away by Gato, just happened to hear the music as he passed,  having
never before known the song):

Give a listen: Gato Barbieri (the 'definitive' version (imho)):

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Mrp6wuSwk&noredirect=1_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Mrp6wuSwk&noredirect=1)

Santana's 'definitive' version:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8jGx3gAnc&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8jGx3gAnc&feature=related)

and together with Santana - an early duet from 1977:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Mrp6wuSwk&noredirect=1_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Mrp6wuSwk&noredirect=1)

Enjoy,

Elizabeth