[Harp-L] Re: First SOLO Open Mike recommendations

Main point:  Newcomers sometimes make a small error and stop and apologize and re-start!  Don't do that.  Keep it rolling.  Get back on track immediately.  Most in the audience didn't hear the mistake.    (Of course, you're gonna do what you're gonna do -- while nervous -- and nobody dies, so I don't mean to create more nervousness with another "requirement!")

While I'm typing, here is another thought:  This may not apply but, if it's the kind of venue where people llisten to the lyrics and you are singing, funny songs tend to go over well. If you play blues, there are plenty of funny old blues songs -- for example, Lightnin' Hopkins, Short Hair Woman which I pefrom solo and people really enjoy -- I guess this assumes one has the ability to deliver the song lyrics well (apart from harmonica ability); an over the top, hammed up version of Hoochie Coochie Man can also be fun -- again I guess there is some "acting" ability required to pull that off.
Perhaps the best advice is to play what you enjoy playing and are comfortable with -- no reason to add extra stress.