Re: [Harp-L] Christian Blues

On Dec 15, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Bruce K Ritter wrote:

> I heard a band perform Amazing Grace to the tune of the Animals version of House of the Rising Sun.  How fun!

I'm in a church group that sometimes does Amazing Grace to a whole series of classic rock songs, including "House of the Rising Sun", "Peaceful, Easy Feeling", "Sweet Home Alabama", a bunch I can't remember, and even the theme from Gilligan's Island.

We had one of the more conservative members of the congregation give us heat about setting it to "House of the Rising Sun", though…

"You do realize that that's a song about prostitution, don't you?"

"Well, actually, it's about pretty much the same thing as 'Amazing Grace': being lost and then found. It's actually full of advice to stay away from that sort of life."

That calmed him down.

A bit.

Eventually…

Oy, vey!

Dave

PS: If this is too "meta", please accept my apologies.