Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Remembering Buddha

I really liked this.  Thanks!

My intent here is to not hijack the thread, but I wanted to expand on
the loss of Chris.  Chris was one of my best friends, and although we
talked all the time (and visited each other), we hardly every talked
harmonica.  He was the first person I called when I really needed
someone to talk to about the heavier things in life.  He was also the
person I talked to when driving to gigs, lol.

While I can find other resources to work on my playing and
customizing, his friendship is something I have not been able to
replace.  Often misunderstood online, Chris was one of the nicest
people I had ever met.  He went to great lengths to help people while
building their capacity - and not just being a problem solver.  The
only time I thought to take a pic with him, the picture didn't turn
out (it was several years back before everyone had a digital camera on
their phone).

The last time I saw him was at SPAH 2010, although I spoke with him
just a couple days before his death.  He and his wife are from MN and
he had extended family come to visit.  Watching him interact with his
in-laws and children was a site to behold!  What a charming guy!

I found out about his passing on December 17th, the morning of my 30th
birthday.  I just happened to feel compelled to check my phone upon
the alarm going off.  It was my first memory of the day.  What a
crappy way to kick things off.  I spent the entire morning trying to
confirm his passing thinking it was some sort of online joke.  When
his brother shared the news on Facebook, it was enough evidence for me
to start mourning his loss, which is the first passing of a close peer
that I've had to deal with.

This was a very tough year for me.  One I would like to forget a lot
of.  I find myself reaching for my phone to call him still on a weekly
basis.  Double true when the Vikings play.  I finally worked up the
nerve to watch his interview at bluesharmonica.com last week.  Man, I
loved his teaching style.  Man, I hated his fashion sense. I still
can't believe he is gone.  Even as I type this I have to remind myself
I can't speak with him.  It's like losing a big brother.  The worst
part is I know he had a lot of close friends in the harmonica
community who feel the same way.  I am one of many.  I hope to be man
enough to offer that much love and support to others - while being
able to offer appropriate constructive criticism - someday.  He was a
man of skillful means, even if he sometimes used that to pull a fast
one on a guy from time to time.

He was often times the model of efficiency and
practicality...sometimes to a fault...but he was also often larger
than life and lazy as hell.  He was always entertaining.

Mike