[Harp-L] Timbre question

I am hearing impaired, so there are some things I can't hear even with my auditory prostheses on their most sensitive setting. One of those things is the difference in timbre that others hear when comparing overbends and valved bends.

I start with the following beliefs:

1. That both reeds are involved and sounding during regular bends.
2. For overbends, only one reed is involved and sounding. The other reed is killed.
3. For valved bends only one reed is involved and sounding. The other is blocked by the valve.
4. In the case of valved bends, the reed sounds in the slot.
5. In the case of overbends, the reed sounds away from the slot.

I invite your correction if these beliefs are incorrect.

What do people think is the reason for the difference in timbre between these two methods?

Since I can't hear this difference, I can't even hazard a guess as to its cause, and I do not have the means to measure sound accurately. or observe the reeds in action. But knowing what the reason is could help me in finding a technique for altering the tone and minimizing tonal differences between the two methods.

-LM

BTW, I mostly teach overbends (because that's what most canny students want,) but I mostly play valved.