RE: [Harp-L] smaller kit

For those who are interested in a "do-it-yourself" project using Lee Oskar harps to
get Circular tuning, here's an alternative to spending your time retuning individual
reeds.

Purchase a Lee Oskar harp in a specific key and also a set of Lee Oskar reed plates
that are one whole tone lower in pitch. For example, an "E" harp and a "D" set of
reed plates. The least expensive Lee Oskar harps I got from Coast-to-Coast Music.
The least expensive Lee Oskar reed plates (excluding the set that Lee Oskar sent
me) I found on Amazon. The combination price of the two is about $45.00, which
doesn't hurt too bad.

You can then substitute reeds around on the "E" harp (moving some reeds from
blow to draw and vice versa) and some of the reeds from the "D" reed plates so
that only one of those reeds has to be retuned (up a half step). In terms of labor,
it probably will take less time, and the end result is that you will have the natural
note reeds in the slots (except for hole 9 draw, if I remember correctly) rather
than a lot of reeds that have been altered to pitch. You end up with an "E" Circular
tuned harp, which has the music key of "A" as the reference key.

Please note that to get the "G" Circular Tuned harp, you have to use a Low F.

You can do this with any combination of harps and reed plates, not just Lee Oskar.
My reason for using Lee Oskar is simple: Lee Oskar harps hold up better FOR ME
than any other. (Please note: I have not yet tried the Seydel Session Steel; that
may end up being my harp of choice as soon as I can afford to get them.) If you
like Lee Oskar harps, I guarantee you will like Lee Oskar Circular Tuned harps!

I laid out all of the reed pitches and which reeds have to be swapped into which
slots before starting. I have a generic template that I used. I'd give the switching
layout here, except that my wife is on the computer that has the document on it,
and I have to go to work soon. If you are interested, I can send you a copy of it
as a PDF file. Just send me an email offlist.

Regards,
Crazy Bob