RE: [Harp-L] Spiral tuning - The LONG Answer

Circular tuning has no missing notes in the diatonic scale. Richter tuning has two
missing notes in octave 1 and 1 missing note in octave 3. Consequently, it is more
"chromatic" (actually, it is more "diatonic"). All Circular tuning bends are half-tone
draw bends, which are (IMHO) much easier to achieve than the variety of bends
(half-step, whole-step, whole-step-and-a-half) required for achieving certain
"missing" notes on Richter tuning. The remaining notes to achieve full chromaticism
are about equal in difficulty, and can be obtained through bending or overblowing.

In my original post, there is a context for the excerpt which is missing:

(1) There are NO missing notes in the two complete octaves of the
underlying
reference scale that are available (hole 2 draw to
hole 9 draw). This means that the
intonation on all notes in the
scale are the SAME, not different based on the bending
technique
used [regular bending or overblowing]. Unlike the great Howard Levy,
don't have 10 years to spend figuring out how to play all 12 keys
on a single diatonic
harp AND to make it sound better than a
quacking duck.
"

The "reference scale" above is clearly the DIATONIC scale, not a CHROMATIC scale.
The intonation that can be achieved on that DIATONIC scale is the same across all
notes in that DIATONIC scale. Without considerable effort, even intonation is elusive
when mixing natural notes, bent notes, and overblown notes - IN MY PERSONAL
OPINION. My experiments with overblowing usually sound like a quacking duck. I'm
63 years old and not interested in spending my time trying to emulate Howard Levy.
Those of you who are younger or more intent on achieving chromaticism on a single
harp have my blessing to pursue that goal to your heart's content. I'd rather spend
my time playing music I enjoy. Circular tuning makes MY goals easier for me to
achieve.

I have nothing but admiration for Howard Levy and his playing, as well as for a host
of others who make beautiful music on a diatonic harp using bending and overblowing
to achieve chromaticism. In no way would I characterize anyone else's overblowing as
like a quacking duck.

Regards,
Crazy Bob